Friday, February 11, 2005

Death of a genius

I heard the very sad news today that Arthur Miller has died, aged 89. I actually thought he was older than that. The man was an inspiration; he never stopped working at his craft, and was still producing new work up to his death. One thing I thought that was incredible when I saw his interview on the 'Imagine...' doc last year, was that he was still as sharp as a knife; he engaged continuously and tirelessly in contemporary debates and issues. It is a thirst and lust for life that envy so so much. Much like I was with Johnny Cash, I was completely in awe of Arthur Miller, and would have loved to have known him.
The production I saw of The Crucible a year or so ago was simply breath taking, and one of the most incredible experiences I have had with any art form.

Arthur Miller R.I.P.

2 Comments:

At 1:26 pm, Blogger Matt said...

Hey, I saw the crucible at the crucible last yaer. Thought it was phenomenal. Was that the one you saw?

 
At 4:11 pm, Blogger Pete said...

Yeah. It was amazing, wasn't it? When it finished, we were just dumb struck; we found it weird that people got up so quickly to leave. Amazing experience, and really brilliant performances.

We watched the film not long after, and were supremely disappointed. Winona Ryder was woeful; she just played it like a bitch, completely ignoring all of the seductive elements of Abigail Williams! Rubbish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home